Sunday, March 6, 2011

Best Friend, Meet Peter Pan

So in case any of you are wondering, since my last post I have relocated to Cape Town, South Africa for the semester. However, I don’t plan on writing about my adventures in Cape Town in this blog, so if you want to hear about it, head over to www.liztakesafrica.blogspot.com.
Of course, that disclaimer is more of a “just in case” since I’m pretty sure (as in positive) that my only dedicated reader is my best friend. You know, the one who convinced me to start this blog, wrote about it on her Twitter and is wayyyyy better at blogging than I’ll ever be (check it out: www.literarycrap.blogspot.com).

So it’s quite fitting that I’ve decided this post is going out to her. Completely. Don’t worry, I won’t bore you with numberless affirmations of how amazing she is, how often she’s been there for me, how much she inspires me and how important she is in my life. Instead, I’m going to tell you a story about just how amazing and headstrong Miss Alison is.

Alison: Peter Pan Fashionista

It’s freshman year of high school. Alison and I are in the bathroom by the band room with a friend Ashley while Alison changes clothes for a presentation she has the next hour.

Now for a little background here. A few weeks before this incident, Alison had bought a Kelly green strapless dress while we were on one of our bimonthly shopping excursions 3 hours away. Yes, it is true. We grew up in a town that boasted of an L-shaped mall with major stores such as JC Penney, Maurices, and Payless.

So there we were in Charlotte Russe.I was waiting to harshly judge everything Alison came out of the fitting room in. And then she came out in this dress.

Except that instead of wearing it as a dress, she was wearing it as a skirt.

I immediately burst out laughing, trying to keep myself from rolling on the floor/peeing my pants. Maybe I was being a bit dramatic at the time, but when your best friend walks out of a dressing room trying to convince you that a terry cloth strapless dress is really just a long skirt by wearing it as one, then you’ll understand the humor.

As Alison has never let someone tell her what to do, she then spent the next ten minutes arguing with me, my mother, and multiple sales clerks about how this dress was obviously a skirt. After much-needed convincing and more laughter from me, she finally decided to try it on as the dress it really was. In the end, she decided to buy the dress/skirt, but on the condition that everyone in the store and in her life know that it could be worn either way and she had every intention to wear it both ways.

So back to the band room bathroom.

Alison hadn’t actually told Ashley and I what she was planning on wearing, just that she needed us to tell her how her outfit for her presentation looked. So when she walked out of the bathroom stall we had absolutely no preparation for what we saw.

Ashley and I were looking at a girl version of Peter Pan.

Alison was wearing her terry-cloth Kelly green dress, and luckily she was actually wearing it as a dress. However, the problem came with the rest of the outfit. Let’s start with the tights. Instead of Peter’s lovely forest green tights Alison was sporting hot pink tights. Paired with black flats. And a white sweater. Okay, before she crucifies me here, I might be getting the shoe and sweater colors wrong, but I promise Kelly green dress, hot pink tights.

This time I did fall on the floor laughing.
Not advisable when in a public school bathroom.

After 10 minutes of non-intelligible comments tried to be made to Alison through our laughter, Ashley and I were finally able to control our breathing and figure out this situation.
Alison had of course already retreated back into the bathroom stall and was yelling insults at us, mostly to the tune of how we obviously had no sense of style, and she thought the hot pink and Kelly green would go better together in her head.

Sidenote: Alison went through a phase where everything she wore was neon. She has started to move from that color scheme, but it’s been a long, slow process. Her family and friends have been supporting her whole heartedly through this difficult transition.

Now, we only had two choices.
1). Alison would have to wear the Kelly green dress as a dress. However, due to her tall figure, this meant that she would have to wear the hot pink tights, as without the tights she would definitely be flashing the entire school.
2). Alison would pull the dress down, to around the top of her stomach, so that her skirt wasn’t too long, making her look like an Amish woman dressed for an 80s music video. She could then take off the hot pink tights and button her sweater all the way up.

The sad part here isn’t the initial outfit. We’ve all had those days when we plan something in our minds, whether it be a perfect outfit, recipe for dinner (like I did tonight) or great blog post, and then see it fall to pieces during execution.

The sad part here is that it took Ashley and I another 20 minutes to convince Alison that Option #2 was the smarter of the options. As funny as it was, and as much as I believe in letting people make their own mistakes, I could not allow her to leave that bathroom looking like Peter Pan would look to someone on ecstasy.

While I’m cracking up uncontrollably now just remembering that day, I’m sure it wasn’t as funny to you.
Sadly enough I have no picture of her in that outfit.
So if you aren’t finding this as hilarious as I did, I guess you just had to be there.
I am also expecting complete and total retaliation on Alison’s part.

P.S. I even went into my old myspace (after trying 54789758420 different passwords) to look for a single picture of the infamous dress...
Alison has hid it well.

1 comment:

  1. I DIDN'T EVEN FINISH READING THIS POST BUT I DEMAND THAT YOU REMOVE IT! I DEMAND IT!

    As the girl that own lace for her cleavage, you have no room to talk about fashion! No room!

    ReplyDelete